Miso Glazed Shrimp and Polenta
10 CUPS WATER, PLUS RESERVED LIQUID FROM SHRIMP, IF ANY.
- Shells and tails from 2 lbs of Island Seafood shrimp
- 3 Rodgers Greens + Roots Organic Farm lemongrass stalks roughly chopped to fit in your pot
- 1 bunch scallions (whites only, set greens aside for garnish)
- 3 bay leaves
- Skins and root ends from Pulp 3-pack black garlic
- 3 carrots 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 Tbs black peppercorns
- 4 cups shrimp broth to 1 cup Riverview Farms stone ground polenta, soaked 20 min to 1 hr or overnight (we used 2 cups polenta)
- 5oz Sea Salt Banner Butter
(These happen to be what were available from our local farmers, but feel free to use whatever seasonal veggies are available.)
- 1 medium Rodgers Greens + Roots Organic Farm yellow squash, cut into half-moon pieces. (Recommended substitutions: any summer squash, gourd, or pumpkin)
- 2 bunch Chang Family Farm spinach. (Recommended substitutions: your favorite green: kale, collard greens, etc)
- 1-2 lbs Heart of Harvest Farms green beans. (Recommended substitutions: snap peas, loose peas, lima beans, edamame.)
Miso Glazed Shrimp
- 2 lbs peeled and deveined Island Seafood shrimp
- 1 cup pre-made shrimp stock
- 4 tbs Pulp miso
FOR THE BROTH
Add all ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer anywhere from 1 to 6 hours.
Strain directly to polenta pot
FOR THE POLENTA
Soak polenta for 20 min to 1 hour, or overnight in cooking liquid
Place on stove top and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until moisture is completely absorbed.
Once polenta has reached the desired consistency, stir in butter. (+cream and parm)
Vegan: Use 4 Cups water, cashew milk, vegan butter, miso or nutritional yeast.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
FOR THE SHRIMP
Mix 1 cup pre-made shrimp stock (room temperature to warm is best) and 4 tbs Pulp Miso. Whisk until combined.
Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a medium cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Place shrimp in the hot pan and sear one side, 1-2 minutes, just until the shrimp has some color but is not cooked through.
Flip the shrimp and sear for 1 minute. Pour miso glaze over the shrimp, lightly tossing to thoroughly cover.
Allow the miso glaze to reduce and finish cooking the shrimp, 1-2 minutes again.
Meanwhile, ladle about 1 cup polenta into a bowl. When the miso glaze is about the consistency of ketchup, spoon shrimp directly into the bowl, topping with glaze.
Garnish with Pulp chili oil and your favorite seasonal greens. We chose Hearts of Harvest farms scallions and purple basil.